Monday, August 31, 2009

Our first day

Today was our first day at Katarrua (yes, Dr. Fannon, I probably spelled that wrong) Hospital. It was also the new interns's first day. In Namibia, internship is 2 year process and the interns spend a 4 month block on pediatrics. The new interns seemed a little shell shocked. I think that will change. After morning report, we went over to the hospital and did rounds. I am on 8B (which is below 2) and Stacey is with Dr. Kaya on 8A (2-13 years.) We saw some interesting cases. I saw marasmus, HIV causing FTT, yet to be diagnosed congenital heart lesion, a baby admited for cyanotic spells who is also albino, and a little girl with a GI bleed that they are considering CF in (more on that as it develops.) Stacey saw 2 cases of TB meningitis, HIV, DKA, and a 9 year old girl blind for no apparent reason who is awaiting a CT scan.

This first day was very eye opening. I can't begin to describe the differences between Namibian and US health care and practices. Lets just say that we are learning a ton and think this will be an awesome month. Right now we are both severely jet-lagged, so we are going to bed.

3 comments:

  1. KATUTURA is the correct spelling. And Dr. Kaya is actually spelled Kaaya.
    5:07pm your time and you're going to bed??!!
    You girls are lightweights!

    EMF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the spelling corrections! I'll make sure to use them. We had the timing of the blog set wrong. We actually went to bed at 10pm our time (you can ask Pam.) We fixed the timing; its now set to Windhoek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things are going well so far, Ladies! Sorry I never got to fit you for a TB mask. (I was trained for that.)

    Be safe and have fun! The rest of us are counting on you to pave the way.

    Take care!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete